Sunday, March 22, 2020

Routines Make Us Feel Good

If done consistently, routines give children and adults a sense of belonging and reassurance, and provide opportunities to connect with each other.  A morning routine can include helping your child make their bed, make breakfast  or fix their hair. 

Image result for kids brushing teethFor young children, a Morning chart with the list of tasks with a picture provides visual reminders for what is expected.  For older children, Post-its in the bathroom mirror can instill basic hygiene activities and is usually the first place they go.

As for your teens, make sure they rely on you to set the tone for the routine.  Whether you send them an emoji reminder or email, they should be able to accomplish their tasks because you have modeled the behavior of getting work done before play.

 As an adult, I have always awakened about 30 minutes earlier than my family to sit and drink my coffee. The silence of the morning allowed me to calm myself and think about the day ahead.  My family was under the impression I had everything planned months in advance, but in reality, I had taken a few minutes in my mornings to see what I wanted my day to look like.  A clear direction made me focused.  No need for craziness or confusion if you know what you need to do.

Your time at home might include time apart.  Each member doing their tasks required of them.  Watching your little hive of busy bees will make the time you come together more relaxed and enjoyable.

It is crucial to understand that daily tasks are important to keep us working as a unit, and unity always brings calm...and calm units are efficient and productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment